Exclusive SSOTMC Slate Knife Course
Saturday, September 15th, 2018: 6pm-9pm EST
Willow Haven Outdoor, 2867 N. 200 E., Anderson, IN 46012: 317-800-5346
Bring your September Survival Skill of the Month Club Skill Sheet TO LIFE with a hands-on course!
INSTRUCTOR: Creek Stewart
This 3-hour hands-on course will teach how to make your own slate knife, similar to the one shown above. Some of the key lessons will be:
- Abrading a slate blade using locally harvested slate/shale
- How to make Pine Pitch Glue
- How to choose and prepare a knife handle
- Notching handle
- Hafting blade into handle using Pine Pitch Glue and Natural Cordage
- How to process natural cordage from locally harvested Dogbane fibers
- How to make Dogbane Cordage using the Reverse Wrap
- How to tie the Whip Lashing
By the end of the course, you will have a completed Slate Knife for use or display.
This course includes the following:
- Full Instruction from 6-9 PM EST with Creek Stewart
- A camping spot on the Willow Haven Outdoor grounds on Saturday evening
- Access to indoor restrooms and shower in Willow Haven Outdoor Facility
- All materials for making the Slate Knife will be provided except for those noted below
Price: $65 per person (Age minimum is 10 years old)
Important things to note:
- If camping, you must bring all camping supplies, toiletries, towels, food, drinks, etc.
- We do have room for campers, rvs, etc.
- No pets.
- No alcohol.
- Building and property must be vacated by 10am Sunday morning.
Course Materials needed
- Small Saw (multi-tool size)
If interested, please enter your email below and click the submit button. This will take you to the product page where you can add the course to your cart and check out. Prepayment is required to be registered for the course. All students will be required to sign our standard liability release, which will be emailed to you after registration.